Healthwatch Shropshire (HWS) has received many comments regarding the availability of GP appointments in the last year. The public seem generally unaware of extended access appointments (appointments available outside normal surgery opening hours) being available. HWS are gathering further information about access to GP appointments through a hot topic. A hot topic is targeted activity looking at one particular aspect of health and social care and inviting views from the public.
We decided to visit GP surgeries across Shropshire to discuss appointments and see how they are offering extended access appointments, if they are advertising them in the surgery and if they are making patients aware of them when they ask. We visited GP practices representing a range of list sizes and in different areas of Shropshire.
- The surgery is accredited as being Dementia Friendly.
- There is a comprehensive range of services offered listed on the Website, but not in the waiting room.
- Extended Access information is in both the waiting area and on the website but not very prominently displayed.
- Signposting to other health professionals is used if patients are willing to tell reception staff the nature of the issue when they call to make an appointment.
- There is a friendly ethos within the workplace.
- Patients are very satisfied with the availability of appointments and the service the Practice provides.
- Extended Hours are offered, but not routinely.
- Distance to participating Extended Hours surgeries is a possible issue.
More Information about the Enter & View scheme can be found here.
Please note the findings of this report reflect what we found on the day of our visit and services may change over time. More information about this service can be found on the Care Quality Commission website and the practice website.