Healthwatch Shropshire (HWS) has received many comments regarding the availability of GP appointments in the last year. The public seem generally unaware of extended access appointments (appointments available outside normal surgery opening hours) being available. HWS are gathering further information about access to GP appointments through a hot topic. A hot topic is targeted activity looking at one particular aspect of health and social care and inviting views from the public.
We decided to visit GP surgeries across Shropshire to discuss appointments and see how they are offering extended access appointments, if they are advertising them in the surgery and if they are making patients aware of them when they ask. We visited GP practices representing a range of list sizes and in different areas of Shropshire.
- We did not see any information on the outside or inside of the building telling people about extended access appointments.
- Most people said it is hard to get an appointment.
- Most people said it is hard to get through to the surgery on the telephone.They told us they wait 20-30 minutes on hold on the phone. Most people give up if they can’t get through on the phone and try again the next day at 8.00 a.m.
- The Manager has reviewed and is trialling improvements to the telephone system.
- Most people were unaware of extended access appointments.
- All the patients we spoke to were happy with the care provided by the staff.
More Information about the Enter & View scheme can be found here.
Please note the findings of this report reflect what we found on the day of our visit and services may change over time. More information about this service can be found on the Care Quality Commission website and the practice website.