From January to March 2019, at the request of Healthwatch England, Healthwatch Shropshire completed wide-ranging engagement to understand people’s experiences of the maternity mental health support available in Shropshire. Using a variety of methods we spoke to 348 people who either used services or worked in the local maternity system.
- More support is made available for dads/partners
- Better information for women / partners is provided, including around the pregnancy and birth, breast feeding, mental health and the support available, and the referral criteria
- More consistent and face-to-face contact with professionals
- More support groups, including focused groups
- Mental Health Training is made available to all staff working with women / partners at every stage
- The new Perinatal Mental Health Team works closely with GPs and primary care