This visit was part of a programme of visits to care homes that are registered by the CQC as providing Dementia care to learn more about the care they provide and identify areas of good practice.
The purpose of the visit was:
- To make observations of the home environment and interactions between staff, residents and their families.
- To understand the home’s approach to providing ‘person centred’ care (including Dementia care) and the support available for staff.
- To hear about how staff support residents to maintain their independence, make choices and maintain relationships with family / carers.
We suggest the following should be considered:
- Ensuring that the redecoration is consistently 'Dementia friendly' across the whole home.
- Extending the outside area available for residents by ensuring that the garden in front of the manor house is safe and secure.
- Developing the activities programme for residents to include more exercise classes.