This visit was part of a programme of visits to care homes that are registered by the CQC as providing Dementia care to learn more about the care they provide and identify areas of good practice.
The purpose of the visit was:
- To make observations of the home environment and interactions between staff, residents and their families.
- To understand the homes’ approach to providing ‘person centred’ care (including Dementia care) and the support available for staff.
- To hear about how staff support residents to maintain their independence, make choices and maintain relationships with family / carers.
- Make menus easier for residents to read by using a larger font format and pictures.
- If space permits, provide areas of seating along corridors/walkways for residents to rest during a walk or to have a change of scenery.
- Provide a suggestion box for relatives or visitors who are reluctant to discuss concerns or views face to face.
- Hold regular relatives’ meetings to give general information about the home that may concern them